Monday, October 17, 2011

I've become my parents. Sorta.

I grew up in a loving and comfortable home.  My parents adopted me as an infant and I never felt that I was anything but their child.  I never wanted for any of the necessities, and I enjoyed being an only child emotionally and financially.

But I was always astounded that almost anytime I stopped at their house, they were there.  Pantry full, food on the stove, house cleaned and ready to welcome me in.  And for years, I stopped in alot.  Needed advice, needed a meal, needed a favor, needed to borrow something, or need a place to hang out.  I needed and they gave.  Simple enough right.

My friends dropped in alot too.  Always a surprise---always laughs.  They all have great memories of Mom and Dad.

I'm telling you all this because I have realized lately that I'm becoming my parents and its NOT EASY!!!  Don't get me wrong....I have a hoot of a time with my kids---their friends--their boyfriends and who ever comes along but Mom and Dad made this look easy.  I think back at what they were trying to teach me.

1.  Love your children--even when they are not lovable.  That goes for your spouse too!

2.  Go to church--you will never be loved more than when you are in Gods house.

3.  Pay your bills--sometimes  all you have is your credit score and your dignity--and sometimes thats all you need.

4. Just put one foot in front of the other each and every day--its not fancy but thats the way most of us get through life each and every day.

5.  And last but not least--Don't sweat the small stuff--most of its small stuff!

Thanks Robert and Margaret.

No comments:

Post a Comment