Monday, November 14, 2011

Friends when your 50--OK I'm not quite 50!

I'm close enough to 50 to be referring to it on an accurate yet uncomfortable basis.  Keep in mind that I am NOT one of those "can't admit my age" ladies by any means.  I love this age!  Old people think I'm young and sweet and young people think I'm old and wise---it's win/win as far as I'm concerned, but.....

One thing that is weird sometimes at 50 is friends.  It was so easy when we were younger and had so much time to spend together--running around, talking all night, shopping, lunches, weekend trips of all kinds!!  But over the years so much has changed.  I still LOVE my friends, and I am blessed with many. 

We take care of husbands, kids, pets and church obligations.  We keep the money straight and the house livable.  And maybe, just maybe we get our nails done!  But we can always make time for a quick shout out to a friend!  Believe me when I say they are so, so valuable.

Some old friends go back to High School or before and have seen enough to write a book or blackmail me OR both.

Some friends came along as life was progressing and saw first hand the trials and tribulations of starting a family.  And sometimes failing.  They have seen tears and laughter---success and failure.  Looking back now , I can't remember which was which.  We prayed together and buried parents side by side.  Tough years.

Some friends are much, much newer!  They too have stood by my side in tough times as I make a new life in another place.  They also have prayed with me, delivered flowers for me, cussed with me, forgiven me and made plans for my childrens future with me. We too, have watched others pass.

You know who you are in Shawnee, Norman, Alabama, Texas, Del City and Purcell.  We may not get as many lunches in as we would like, but we are there in spirit and a text away---day or night!

No comments:

Post a Comment